Thursday, February 26, 2009

Movie reviews

Well I saw three great movies last week for our shoot week Moviestravaganza.

I Am Cuba
The one that was the most visually stunning was I am Cuba. This black and white film was very impressing with the extremely long shots, interesting angles and the use of infra red technology. The story itself consisted of four different short stories that told one larger story of the revolution of Cuba. Though visually stunning I am the type of person that likes to have a good and final ending when I watch a movie so for me that was an aspect that was very lacking in this movie. So to sum it up... good movie, good popcorn, extremely long, no closure. I give this film 3 Stars.

Pecker
This is a movie about a young man who goes around his town taking pictures of the people around him and pretty much gets accidentally discovered by a New York art gallery. This film covers Peckers quick rise to fame and the consequences of it to him, his family, his friends and everyone around him. He has a really hard time getting people to pose for him at this point because they are angry with him for selling images of them and not getting any profit from it. This film raises a lot of questions about a photographers rights and the subjects rights. In the end Pecker chooses to open up his own art gallery while teaching the ''New York art snobs'' a lesson, everyone loves him for it and the world is right once again. This was a pretty funny movie with a good moral. Fame isn't worth anything if it destroys your relationships with the people around you therefore destroying life as you knew it. I give this film 4 Stars.

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
This was by far my favorite movie from the moviestravaganza. This star studded movie starts off with three men who escape from a prison work farm and follows them through all he adventures they have on their way back home, from becoming music stars, to one of them possibly turning into a frog, to them being robbed by a bible sales man, to them all being pardoned and then almost dying. This has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen with the catchiest music I've ever heard (it's still stuck in my head a week later). Being so great in the first place I was able to appreciate this film even more after watching the documentary about how this was the first digitally produced movie. Just seeing all the work that went into creating the color and the mood of the movie was amazing. I give this film 5 Stars.

1 comment:

AmandaO said...

Good review, Nadine! Sounds like you really enjoyed O Brother Where Art Thou. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll have to check it out!